Vishwa Hindu Parishad of America -Profile
[ Article crossposted from soc.culture.indian ]
[ Author was Ajay Shah ]
[ Posted on 20 Oct 1994 18:51:27 GMT ]
PROFILE OF VISHWA HINDU PARISHAD OF AMERICA:
VISHWA HINDU PARISHAD OF AMERICA, Inc, ( VHP) is the National organization
of Hindus enjoying Global Contacts. Parishad enjoys contacts with
many sister organizations. With active member families in at
least Forty states, of the U.S.A., parishad started its activity
in 1970, with New York state, as its registered office. Parishad
is a NON -PROFIT registered Tax Exempt Organization. It enjoys
this privilege under the Internal Revenue Service regulation 501-
Family is our Focus: Parishad believes that a strong family makes
a strong society. Maintaining strong, moral carrying, ethical
individual & family units is very important for society. We very
positively affect the individuals and family by promoting
Healthy, Loving, Caring, Stable relationships. Parishad programs
touch all the members of the family. Special programs of the
Parishad support the needs of Young Americans, thus aiming to
mould the Ideal citizens fired with zeal and Patriotic spirit.
Parishad is working to instill a true Human pride in its members
thus bringing closer to reality the American dream of a Kinder,
Gentler Nation. Parishad adds enrichment and cultural awareness
to American society, based on time tested Eternal Hindu values.
During past Twenty years of Selfless service the Parishad group
has undertaken the following programs:
* Supported Youth Camps for the past TEN years
* Run BALVIHAR - Children's Education programs since 1979
* Distributed more than 34000 Children's Story Books.
* Collected & Offered $1,400,000+ in service of Society.
* Run Hindu Student Council for College Youths.
* Hosted various Educational Lecture programs.
* Offered a week long "Yoga" Workshop.
* Arranged Seminars for the Guidance of Youth.
* Managed Publication of - Hindu vishwa since 1983
* Supported Religious needs of Hindu Families in the Area
* Arranged Ten National & Three Regional Conferences
* Arranged Global Vison 2000 festival in 1993 at various
CURRENT PROGRAMS/ACTIVITY & PROJECTS OF PARISHAD: Local,
Statewide, Regional, National and International programs and
activities are offered such as:
* Chapter Programs & Activities - Family gatherings
* Balvihar - Children's Language & Cultural Classes.
* Regional Conferences - Community Meetings for studies.
* Youth Camps - Week long Cultural experience for Children.
* Children's Story Books - Inspiring Books for Young Minds.
* Hindu Student Council for College Youths.
* Seva Projects - Service at the alter of the Community.
* Support -a- Child Program -Program to serve needy children.
* Family Support Services - Services for families under distress
* Hindu's Contribution to the world - Pictorial Exhibition of Hindu Art
in paintings, Slides & Posters.
* Hindu University - Proposal to teach based on Hindu values
OVERVIEW OF PARISHAD AS AN ORGANIZATION
VISHWA HINDU PARISHAD - A World Body Of Hindus
* Largest Worldwide Organization of Hindus.
* Sister organizations in many Countries.
* Mother Bharat - Our Source of Inspirations.
STRUCTURE OF PARISHAD:
1. One Central Governing Body
2. Regional Committee
3. Council of Chapters
4. Local Chapter/Centers
5. Unit of Parishad
I . SERVICES FOR YOUTHS :
* Youth Camps: Run by volunteers to provide education, leadership &
role model training to children
* Youth Conferences:A Forum for inspirational Seminars, Workshops &
Talks for Teens.
* Balvihar -Children's Educational Program: Classes for training body
and minds for ages 6 thru 16
* Children's story books: Inspiring books for the young mind.
* Hindu Student Council : High aim alternative for College Students
* Bharat Darshan (- VISIT INDIA) Tour Program: 1992, for high school &
college students to visit India, under the guidance of volunteers.
II. FAMILY SUPPORT : Volunteer run services in variety of programs such as:
* Crisis Prevention & Family Counselling
* Support for the elderly
* Free Medical Health screening
* Stress Reduction workshops & Yoga, Health & Vegetarianism support
* English Literacy Help: Volunteers teach English to Hindi,& Gujarati
* Job support services
- Translation services at Motor Vehicle Department (in Connecticut)
- English translation for the individuals with Hindi or Gujarati as
III. SEVA - HUMANITARIAN SERVICES:
SEVA Programs of Parishad offer services in the following
A. HEALTH & WELFARE
Feeding at Homeless center in CT, MA, TX states
B. EDUCATION & SOCIAL SERVICES
Support -A- Child Program: Supporting needy children IN
Funding to Community Development Projects
Educational Grants, Scholarships & Aids
Support to educational institutions
Vanvasi Seva - Service of Under privileged tribal
families in India.
C. CULTURAL PROMOTION
Support to Cultural & Religious Centers
IV. CULTURAL PROGRAMS:
* Hindu vishwa - Publication Since 1973 - An inspirational reading for
the whole family.
* Children's Books - Distributed since 1973 - Inspirational reading for
* Cultural Exhibition: " Hindu's Contributions to the world
Through Pictures, Photographs & Charts"
* Sanskar Bharti - Audio Visual Services: Since 1983, providing
inspiring and enriching education.
* Conferences: National & Regional conferences for Public
Education on variety of subjects like:
Yoga and Stress Reduction, Health, Vegetarianism
and Weight Control,
Comparative appreciation of all religions, Family
Stability and Crisis Handling.
* "Awareness" - Lecture Tour Program: National, Regional and
local tours of educators, Social Workers and Spiritual
Leaders for providing authentic education on subjects
such as: Yoga, Health & Stress Reduction
CERTIFICATE OF AUTHORITY in following States - REPORT as of
State Name Authority Date Remark
( 1) STATE OF NEW YORK Registered 05/16/74 Registered Office
( 2) STATE OF CONNECTICUT Certificate 11/21/78 Working office
( 3) STATE OF CALIFORNIA Certificate 03/23/82
( 4) STATE OF ILLINOIS Certificate 07/13/76
( 5) STATE OF FLORIDA Certificate 05/10/82
( 6) STATE OF GEORGIA Certificate 03/26/82
( 7) STATE OF SOUTH CAROLINA Certificate 03/30/83
( 8) STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA Certificate 05/27/83
( 9) STATE OF MARYLAND Certificate 06/19/87
(10) STATE OF MASSACHUSETTS Certificate 08/17/87
(11) STATE OF MICHIGAN Certificate 01/23/87
(12) STATE OF NEW JERSEY Certificate 01/16/89
Posted by: Ajay Shah