[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RFD: soc.religion.hindu-reorganization

While I would be happy to see as much discussion about Hinduism
as possible, in as many forums as possible---and I appreciate
that the authors of this RFD are making a sincere effort in that
direction---I also feel that the present s.r.h traffic does not
demand a split.

I am more sympathetic to the call for three or more moderators.
Ajay Shah has done and is doing a great job, but it is by nature
a thankless job : if someone's post is accepted promptly, they
don't even know you exist; if it is delayed or rejected, you
become the lightning rod.

I believe that it is not sufficient for fairness to be there,
and I perceive it as being there, but that it should *obviously*
and *manifestly* be there. In that spirit, I think it would be a
good idea (i) to have many moderators and, if practical, (ii) to
always have a second moderator review a rejection. If having
many moderators speeds up the posting process, that would be an
added bonus.

While I am in favor of considering improvements, I join Raj in
calling upon *all* to keep out pettiness and childishness.

I long for the day when it would make sense to have dozens of
newsgroups dealing with different aspects of Hindu religion,
society, history, and civilization. However, such groups should
be content-based; they should not be thrown around just because
somebody is unhappy with one person. Few readers of these words
would need reminding just how much Hindu civilization has
suffered from petty infighting.

-Anil Trivedi
--
Moderator: Ajay Shah Submissions: srh@rbhatnagar.csm.uc.edu