[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ARTICLE : Advice on Advaita Vedanta and Yoga

Hi Joseph,

Interesting question and delimma.  I'd have to recommend starting the the
phone book, in the yellow pages under church.  Locally, well, locally to
myself there nothing.  In Washington, DC there's a Durga Temple, which
should meet the Shakti background you have, but I'm unsure if the advaita
or dvaita.  There are a Hindu Temple and IHOW, which I do believe on
monist.  I don't know which temples you have in SF.

Should those fail, go forward to the white pages and try Vedanta Society.
While they're dedicated to Sri Ramakrisha (and Kali secondarily), I know
they're advaita.

As a rule of thumb, first, stick with certified Swamis.  Make sure they're
associated with a Temple.  Make sure that while they're performing
services they wear orange robes.  Second, shop around.  You're American,
use that to the best of your advantage.  They get so many temporary
devoutees and people from college religion classes it'll make you retch.

Once you find one you like, try to find time to talk to one of the Swamis
- you might want to make an appointment.  You need not bring anything.  Be
modest, be polite, be unpretentious.  If you like the Swami, continue
going there.  You will want to find the Order of Swamis running the
temple, but its probably published or printed somewhere.  All of the
Orders of Swamis that I know of have the names of Hindu gods.

It sounds like eventually you'll want to find a guru.  Perhaps you may
want one of the Swamis to be your guru, perhaps not.  But a Swami can be
trusted, if you choose not, tell them so (politely), but bring a gift and
ask for their help in finding a guru.

Best Reguards,

Jay

P.S. I have met false Swamis, that's why I urge you to be careful.  Using
the Temple and the robes is pretty safe.  Finding the Order is almost a
sure thing.